Gift BooksWe gratefully accept gift books and other library materials. Such gifts can supplement the collection or can be used to replace missing and worn copies. We welcome inquiries from prospective donors.
If you are interested in making a donation to the library:
- Information about Gift Books will familiarize you with the types of material that the Library might want to accept, what we do with our donations, some suggested sources of information about valuing the materials and some basic information about IRS publications if donations are over a certain amount.
Gift Agreement Form (interactive .pdf form)
A gift agreement form must accompany your donation. Please sign the form and include a monetary value for all donated items.
- Gifts are reviewed before they are added to the collection to insure relevance to the needs of library users and to guard against unnecessary duplication. The same principles of selection of new materials apply to gift materials. Only those materials which meet the above qualifications and are in good physical condition will be added.
- Gifts may be added to the collection, offered to a used book dealer, or donated to a charitable organization. The Library requests that the donor not place any restrictions on the materials or their disposition.
For legal reasons the library cannot supply a cash appraisal for donated books. Please use the letter below as a guide for appraising your items. Please be aware that the values are merely suggested and therefore non-binding. If you are considering a tax deduction and wish to have your collection appraised, you should do so prior to making the donation.
Estimated Book Values
- All donations are acknowledged with a letter from the Associate Dean, Collections and Technical Services stating the number of volumes and the date of receipt. It is the donor’s responsibility to prepare a list of materials donated, if needed.
- If the value of the donation is greater than $500, the Internal Revenue Service requires the submission of IRS Form 8283.
- If the value of the donation is greater than $5000, an independent appraisal is required by the Internal Revenue Service and the University is required to sign the IRS Form 8283 acknowledging receipt of the gift.
- We request that the donor deliver the items to the library.
Collection Development Librarian
Tel: (617) 373-2001
Dean, University Libraries
Tel: (617) 373-5001