Automotive School was established by Speare as a part of the Evening
Institute in 1903. With the establishment of the Ford Motorcar Company
in the same year, Speare saw the automotive market taking off. He
worked quickly to fill an anticipated need for men who were trained
to operate and maintain automobiles. Early advertisement for the
program emphasized the expansion of auto ownership and statistics
on their maintainence.
curriculum, which was frequently revised in the program's early
years, included automotive engineering, driving lessons, upholstery
and auto repair. The Automotive School enjoyed high enrollments
for a number of years, but its popularity began to dwindle in the
1920s. On June 30, 1926, the Automotive School officially closed.