Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview

Historical Note

Scope and Content Note


Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection
Title:Faculty Wives records
Dates: n.d., 1941-1971
Call Number:A05

Scope and Content Note

The Northeastern University Faculty Wives consists of two manuscript boxes of records, spanning the entire life of the club, 1941-71.  The original order of the records was indiscernible, so they were organized into one subject series.

Arranged chronologically, the annual reports of the officers (Box 1, Folders 1-28) from 1941 to 1969 make up the bulk of the collection.  The reports were usually written by the president and the various committee chairpersons.

Disbandment, 1970-1971 (Box 1, Folder 30) contains correspondence to and from interested club members regarding its future, membership rosters, inventory lists, and a small amount of information regarding the possible continuation of the club off-site following the disassociation with the University.

The collection also contains three volumes of newspaper clippings (Box 2, Folders 65-67).  All of this information has been photocopied in its original order.  Some information contained in these scrapbooks had torn away from the pages.  In this situation, loose clippings were reattached at the bottom of a page which corresponded with the dates on the articles.  Much of the information has faded or was torn in spots; consequently, some of the photocopies are difficult to read.

Scholarship Records, 1954-1965 (Box 2, Folder 76) contains lists of nominees, correspondence from Northeastern's Admissions Office, and letters of acknowledgment from award recipients.  Related information on scholarship decisions can also be found within the minutes of the organization.  The scholarship records folder is closed until 2040.

The Faculty Wives kept track of their annual activities and programs in two oversized leather scrapbooks.  A gift of Mrs. Ell, these two volumes chronicle the history of the organization from 1941 to 1971.  Each year is summarized in one or two pages.  The first volume (Box 2, Folder 77) contains photographs and newspaper clippings on the group's founding and the activities of its first twenty years.  Original photographs were moved to the NU Visual Collection, and photocopies were inserted in their place.  The second scrapbook (Box 2, Folder 78) is arranged similarly to the first volume.  As the scrapbooks were decaying, the pages of text were removed from the bound volumes and inserted into folders.  Unless noted, all of the pages are the originals.