Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview

Historical Note

Series:



Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection Overview
Name of Creator:Lowell Institute School
Title:Lowell Institute School records
Date:1883-2008
Reference Code:A26
Location Code:28/3, 35/3
Extent:12.40 cubic ft. (16 boxes)
Scope and Content Abstract:The records of the Lowell Institute School document the school's curricula and students from 1903 to 1996. Annual reports provide a comprehensive overview of the school's curricula and student body. Curricular materials include laboratory notebooks, lecture notes, bulletins, catalogs, course evaluations and progress reports, drawings, examinations, handouts, homework assignments, posters, publications, readings, and syllabi. Also included is documentation of the schools' relationship to General Electric Corporation, which sent many of its employees to the school as part of their apprenticeship training. Graduation files include programs, invitations, and correspondence, introductory and commencement speeches, ceremony agendas, biographies on keynote speakers, newspaper clippings, lists of graduates and degrees, faculty, and guests, photographs, and sample diplomas. Yearbooks exist for 1909-1931 and 1948, and student records for 1905-1969. The collection also contains significant historical information on the Lowell family and its role in the genesis and development of the Lowell Institute School. In Series 3 Box 16 Folder 2, there is a CD for Fall 2003 Schedule Guide.
Historical Abstract:The Lowell Institute School was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1903 as the School for Industrial Foremen. It provided low-cost, continuing education to industrial foremen seeking to enhance their professional skills. The school offered two tuition-free evening programs: the Mechanical Course and the Electrical Course. Over time, the school's admission standards became more rigorous and its curriculum expanded, but it continued to offer two-year programs in mechanical and electrical engineering well into the 1960s. In addition, courses in structural and civil engineering, high-speed strobe photography, machine tool fundamentals, scientific glass blowing, house building, technical writing, and microprocessor systems were offered. Courses in computer technology were added in the 1960s and became an integral component of the school's curriculum. In the fall of 1996, the school was transferred to Northeastern University (NU), becoming a division of NU's School of Engineering Technology.
System of Arrangement:Organized into 6 series: 1. Annual Reports; 2. Course Offerings; 3. Subject Files; 4. Graduation Files; 5. Yearbooks; and 6. Student Files.
Subjects and Contributors:
  • Foster, F. Leroy.
  • Lowell, Abbott Lawrence.
  • Lowell, Augustus.
  • Lowell, John Jr.
  • Lowell, Ralph.
  • Park, Charles Francis.
  • Townsend, Arthur Lawrence.
  • Wedlock, Bruce D.

  • Lowell Institute School.
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Lowell Institute School.
  • Northeastern University--School of Engineering Technology.
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology--School for Industrial Foremen.

  • Adult education--Massachusetts.
  • Continuing education--Massachusetts.
  • Engineering--Study and teaching.
  • Evening and continuation schools--Massachusetts.
  • Lowell family.
  • Manual training--Massachusetts.
  • Occupational training--Massachusetts.
  • Technical education--Massachusetts.
  • Vocational training--Massachusetts.

Conditions Governing Access:Records are closed for 25 years from the date of their creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office. Student records (boxes 9-11) are closed for 75 years from their date of creation.
Finding Aids:Lowell Institute Alumni Association records, 1905-1996 (M30)
Processor:Finding aid prepared by Karen Adler Abramson, Migyeong Geum, October 1998, October 2012