Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview

Historical Note

Scope and Content Note


Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection
Title: Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records.
Dates:1962-1992
Call Number:A79

Historical Note

The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Opening its doors in 1914, the Infirmary provided complete oral therapy for children and, by the end of its first ten years, had treated over 150,000 children for dental and craniofacial problems. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916.

Over subsequent decades, the Infirmary, known as The Forsyth Center, became a preeminent research institution devoted to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in oral health and craniofacial science. The Forsyth Research Institute was created in 1962 to study the underlying causes of oral disease and develop treatments that would lead to prevention and cure.

The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists was one of the first programs of its kind in the United States, and served as a national model. From 1917 to 1950, a one-year course was offered to students. In 1947, the Council on Dental Education of the American Dental Association established a two-year minimum requirement for dental hygiene education that included additional academic courses.

In 1948, the Forsyth School entered into an affiliation with Tufts University, and in 1949 began its first two-year program in which Tufts faculty taught academic courses. It was now possible for students who wished to continue their education to apply these additional credits in liberal arts and basic sciences toward a baccalaureate degree. In 1962, the school transferred its affiliation to Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted.

The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene students a two-year or four-year program through Northeastern's Bouvé College of Health Sciences. Students attended classes at both Forsyth and Northeastern, and earned a Certificate in Dental Hygiene from Forsyth as well as an Associate in Science or Bachelor of Science degree from Northeastern.

In 2002, The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists was acquired by the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) as a permanent part of the College's health-related degree programs. Founded in 1823, the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is the largest college of pharmacy in the United States.
Bibliography

Forsyth Dental Center Catalog, 1965-67, p. 24.

"Huskiana: From Caps and Crowns to Caps and Gowns," N.U. Magazine Online, Vol. 23, No. 5, May 1998. http://www.numag.neu.edu/9805/9805page%26images/huskiana.html. Accessed March 30, 2006.

"Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences to Acquire Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists," Alliance News, Winter, 2002, p. 2. http://www.fenwayculture.org/AllianceNewsWinter2002.pdf. Accessed April 2, 2004.

MCPHS, School of Health Sciences, Academic Programs. "Forsyth Department of Dental Hygiene." http://www.mcphs.edu/academic_programs/health_sci/dental_hygiene/who_we_are/welcome.html. Accessed March 30, 2006.

Northeastern University, Bouvé College of Health Sciences. "Mission Statement," December 5, 2003. http://www.bouve.neu.edu/who/mission.php. Accessed March 30, 2006.