Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids

Printable Finding Aid. Back to Browsing Version.

Collection Overview
Title: Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records
Dates:1962-1992
Location:31/2
Call Number:A79
Volume:0.35 cubic ft. (1 box)
Scope and Content Abstract:The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records include agreements between Northeastern University and the Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists; correspondence and memoranda related to administrative arrangements, financial agreements, program requirements, and tuition/fees; meeting minutes of the Forsyth-Northeastern Administrative Committee; newsletters; brochures and course catalogs; and commencement materials. Additional materials in the collection are from the Forsyth Dental Center and the Northeastern-Tufts Dental Assistant Program.
Historical Abstract:The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916. In 1948, the school entered into an affiliation with Tufts University. In 1962, it became affiliated with Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted. The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene students a two-year certificate or a four-year bachelor's program through Northeastern's Bouvé College of Health Sciences. In 2002, the school was acquired by the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
Arrangement:Arranged in one alphabetical sequence.
Subjects and Contributors:
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Bouvé College of Health Sciences
  • Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children

  • Children -- Dental care -- Massachusetts
  • Dental auxiliary personnel -- Training of -- Massachusetts
  • Dental hygiene -- History
  • Dental hygienists -- Training of -- Massachusetts

Restrictions:The collection is partially restricted; for further information, consult the University Archivist.
Processor:Finding aid prepared by Linda Carroll, May 2004

Scope and Content Note

The Northeastern University-Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records are from the Forsyth Dental Center, the Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists, and the Northeastern-Tufts Dental Assistant Program. Materials include agreements between Northeastern University and the Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists; correspondence and memoranda related to administrative arrangements, financial agreements, program requirements, and tuition/fees; meeting minutes of the Forsyth-Northeastern Administrative Committee; newsletters; brochures and course catalogs; and commencement materials. Forsyth Dental Center materials, dating from about 1963 to 1973, include pages from a grant application; statements from Forsyth Center scientists about their current and ongoing research projects and related computer requirements; newsletters; and brochures. The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records, comprising materials from 1962-1992, are related to the administrative affiliation of the Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists with Northeastern University. Specific materials include jointly drafted administrative agreements and policy statements; correspondence and memoranda related to administrative agreements, financial arrangements, program requirements, and tuition/fees; meeting minutes of the Forsyth-Northeastern Administrative Committee; course catalogs and program brochures; an alumni newsletter; a 50th anniversary program; and a commencement program. Materials from the Dental Assistant program include brochures and a graduation program.

Historical Note

The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Opening its doors in 1914, the Infirmary provided complete oral therapy for children and, by the end of its first ten years, had treated over 150,000 children for dental and craniofacial problems. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916.

Over subsequent decades, the Infirmary, known as The Forsyth Center, became a preeminent research institution devoted to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in oral health and craniofacial science. The Forsyth Research Institute was created in 1962 to study the underlying causes of oral disease and develop treatments that would lead to prevention and cure.

The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists was one of the first programs of its kind in the United States, and served as a national model. From 1917 to 1950, a one-year course was offered to students. In 1947, the Council on Dental Education of the American Dental Association established a two-year minimum requirement for dental hygiene education that included additional academic courses.

In 1948, the Forsyth School entered into an affiliation with Tufts University, and in 1949 began its first two-year program in which Tufts faculty taught academic courses. It was now possible for students who wished to continue their education to apply these additional credits in liberal arts and basic sciences toward a baccalaureate degree. In 1962, the school transferred its affiliation to Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted.

The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene students a two-year or four-year program through Northeastern's Bouvé College of Health Sciences. Students attended classes at both Forsyth and Northeastern, and earned a Certificate in Dental Hygiene from Forsyth as well as an Associate in Science or Bachelor of Science degree from Northeastern.

In 2002, The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists was acquired by the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) as a permanent part of the College's health-related degree programs. Founded in 1823, the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is the largest college of pharmacy in the United States.

Bibliography

Forsyth Dental Center Catalog, 1965-67, p. 24.

"Huskiana: From Caps and Crowns to Caps and Gowns," N.U. Magazine Online, Vol. 23, No. 5, May 1998. http://www.numag.neu.edu/9805/9805page%26images/huskiana.html. Accessed March 30, 2006.

"Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences to Acquire Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists," Alliance News, Winter, 2002, p. 2. http://www.fenwayculture.org/AllianceNewsWinter2002.pdf. Accessed April 2, 2004.

MCPHS, School of Health Sciences, Academic Programs. "Forsyth Department of Dental Hygiene." http://www.mcphs.edu/academic_programs/health_sci/dental_hygiene/who_we_are/welcome.html. Accessed March 30, 2006.

Northeastern University, Bouvé College of Health Sciences. "Mission Statement," December 5, 2003. http://www.bouve.neu.edu/who/mission.php. Accessed March 30, 2006.
Return to Top
BoxTitleDate
Forsyth Dental Center
1Brochures1965-1967, 1986
1Grant Applicationn.d.
1Newsletters1972-1973
1Research Project Statements1968?
Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists
1Alumni Newsletter1981
1Agreements with Northeastern University1962-1964, 1967
1Brochures and Reply Cards1986, 1988-1989
1Commencement Exercises Program1973
1Correspondence and Memoranda1962-1968
1Course Catalogs1963-1992
1Fiftieth Anniversary Invitation and Program1966
1Meeting Minutes of the Forsyth-Northeastern Administrative Committee1962-1965, 1969
Northeastern/Tufts Dental Assistant Program
1Brochures and Reply Cards ca. 1980
1Graduation Exercises1979