Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview

Historical Note



Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection
Title: Office of the Registrar records
Dates:1920-2000 (bulk 1950-1975)
Call Number:A89

Historical Note

Before 1960, Northeastern University was divided into separate schools, each with its own Office of the Registrar. The School of Law, Evening Programs which developed into University College, Lincoln Institute, and the Basic Day Colleges each operated independently. The University's schools of Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Education, and Engineering were divided between the day and evening programs. The Office of the Registrar in each of these entities was a small operation responsible for overseeing and coordinating student registration, scheduling classes, and assuring that all academic records were properly maintained and updated. In 1960 two major changes occurred. First, University College, the newly founded branch of Northeastern that served as the overlying body for Evening Programs, was established. Second, a data processing system was introduced that allowed for more easily accessible records.

Beginning in the 1960s, the individual registrars began to converge. Lincoln Institute, which offered technology programs, changed its name to Lincoln College and joined the university wide registrar in 1963, while University College remained its own entity. In 1966, reorganization of the day college registrars was undertaken due to the founding of four new colleges since 1960: Boston-Bouvé College, College of Criminal Justice, College of Nursing, and College of Pharmacy. With the growth of elective programs in the late 1960s, the previously used method of automatic registration had to be abandoned and a new keypunch card system was implemented. 1969 saw the merging of the Day Colleges and their graduate counterparts into the same office under Rudolph H. Morris. In 1973, the Office of the Registrar microfilmed all of its records up to 1972. As a result, the amount of storage space was decreased, the records more usable, and they were less vulnerable to misplacement. The merger of university registrar offices was completed in 1978 when the School of Law and Continuing Education were absorbed.
Chronology
Office of the Registrar, Day CollegesJohn B. Pugsley, 1920-1944
Winthrop E. Nightengale, 1944-1946
John B. Pugsley, 1946-1949
Rudolph H. Morris, 1949-1970
Alan A. Mackey, 1970-1975
Office of the Registrar, Evening ProgramsMarie C. Fausel, 1918-1920
John B. Pugsley, 1920-1925
Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs and Lincoln InstituteRoy M. Lawson, 1925-1931
Eben O. Smith, 1931-1944
Helen M. Stoddard, 1944-1948
Carl A. Georgi, 1948-1951
Walter J. Hunt, 1951-1952
Lincoln Bateson, 1952-1953
William M. Stewart, 1953-1957
Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs, Lincoln Institute, and University CollegeWilliam T. Edgett, 1957-1965
Office of the Registrar, University CollegeEdmund J. Mullen, 1965-1970
John L. O'Leary, Jr., 1970-1973
David R. Kane, 1973-1978
Office of the Registrar, Graduate SchoolJanice Walker, 1959-1969
Office of the Registrar, School of LawTurner F. Garner, 1922-1924
Roy M. Lawson, 1924-1931
Eben O. Smith, 1931-1939
Edna E. Rawnsley, 1939-1945
Doris E. Koch, 1945-1948
Carmelita E. Geraci, 1948-1953
Barbra F. Burke, 1966-1969
Denise A. Smith, 1969-1973
Marianne F. Radziewicz, 1973-1978
Office of the University RegistrarEdmund J. Mullen, 1975-1998
Linda D. Allen, 1998-present
Bibliography

Frederick, Antoinette, Northeastern University: An Emerging Giant, 1959-1975 (Boston: Northeastern University Custom Book Program, 1982).