Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview




Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection Overview
Creator: Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) Bureau of Business and Economic Research.
Title:Bureau of Business and Economic Research records
Dates: 1954-1978
Call Number:A91
Location: 31/4
Volume: 0.35 cubic ft. (1 box)
Scope and Content Abstract: This collection documents the activities of the Bureau of Business and Economic Research at Northeastern University from 1954 through 1978. The collection includes reprints of articles by Northeastern faculty, annual reports of the Bureau, and lists of articles being reprinted by Northeastern for the Bureau. Topics covered by the reprints include local and international economic, trade, and labor issues. Professors William H. Miernyk, Morris A. Horowitz, and Manuel Zymelman were the Northeastern faculty most closely associated with the Bureau and their reprints form the bulk of the collection.
Historical Abstract: In 1939, Northeastern University became the first private institution in the country to found a Bureau of Business Research. The Bureau was created to “...make studies and conduct research into the problems of New England business development, expansion of the New England market for New England industry...and investigations into special problems of individual business concerns...” (NU Review, Nov/Dec. 1939, Vol. 1, No. 2). The Bureau began under the guidance of Dr. Asa S. Knowles, then dean of the College of Business Administration, the parent College for the Bureau. In 1952, Dr. William H. Miernyk took over the administration of the Bureau, changed the name to the Bureau of Business and Economic Research, and revived interest in the organization among the business and economics faculty at Northeastern. By 1959, the Bureau had several ongoing research projects with particular emphasis on studies of managerial accounting for smaller businesses. After Dr. Miernyk’s departure in 1961, Dr. Dean S. Ammer served first as Acting Director in 1961 and then as Director of the Bureau from 1962 onwards, taking the Bureau towards even larger projects involving long term international economic studies, automation studies, and the publication of a monthly newsletter for businesses involved in the Northeastern Cooperative Education program. In 1966, the Bureau began to struggle with staffing and administration difficulties as its parent Department of Economics shifted from the College of Business Administration to the College of Liberal Arts. The Bureau survived through the 1980s finally dissolving due to diminishing student and faculty interest.
Arrangement:Alphabetical
Subjects and Contributors:
  • Miernyk, William H.
  • Zymelman, Manuel.
  • Horowitz, Morris Aaron.

  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Bureau of Business and Economic Research

  • Business – Research
  • Regional Economics

Restrictions:The collection is unrestricted
Related Materials:

There is supplementary information about the Bureau of Business and Economic Research in collection A03, the Office of the President (Knowles) records. Mention of the Bureau can also be found in other Northeastern publications such as the Faculty Newsletter (87/1), The Federal Relations Reporter (87/5), Northeastern University Business Topics (87/5), the Faculty Handbook (87/1) and The Evening NUs (87/3).

Processor: Finding aid prepared by Hanna Clutterbuck, April 2006; Accession Z00-011 added to collection by Eliana Coshman, February 2008.