Northeastern Timeline

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1896

Directors of the Boston YMCA vote to establish the Evening Institute for Young Men, to be directed by Frank Palmer Speare.

1897

Special courses in Law, Elementary Electricity, Advanced Electricity offered by the Lowell Institute, under the auspices of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA.

1898

Evening Law Institute, the first evening law program in Boston, established.

Photo of Law School graduates
Left: Evening Law Institute graduates its first class of 21 students.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1902

Evening Law Institute graduates its first class of 21 students.

1903

Automobile School established, offering coeducational courses for owners, chauffeurs, machinists, and mechanics.

1904

Evening Polytechnic School, also known as the Lincoln Institute, is established to offer technical education.

Evening Preparatory School opens.

Evening Law Institute incorporated as the Evening School of Law of the Boston YMCA.

1907

School of Commerce and Finance established.

1909

The Association Day School, providing college preparatory courses for boys, opens. It was renamed the Huntington School for Boys in 1913.

Cooperative Engineering School opens with eight students. The cooperative program, the second of its kind in the United States, was eventually adopted by all departments.

Photo of co-op student at Edison Left: Edison Illuminating began hiring Northeastern engineering students as cooperative employees in 1910.

1910

Field Day, an all-University outing, initiated.

1911

School of Commerce and Finance incorporated, with degree-granting power.

Botolph Building occupied.

1913

Huntington Avenue YMCA building occupied.

1916

Northeastern College of the Boston YMCA is incorporated with Frank Palmer Speare as its president.

Evening School of Liberal Arts opens.

Students publish first issue of The Co-op, Northeastern's first student newspaper.

1917

Frank Palmer Speare inaugurated on March 30.

First yearbook, The Cauldron, is published.

1919

First Annual Banquet held for Northeastern alumni.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1920

Massachusettts state legislature authorizes Northeastern to grant bachelor's degrees in civil, chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering.

1921

Department of Student Activities established.

The Senate, honor society of the School of Engineering, organized.

1922

Northeastern College renamed Northeastern University.

The College of Business Administration opens.

School of Law and School of Commerce and Finance admit women.

Northeastern holds its first "Night at the Pops" event on May 24, 1922.

1923

>Degree-granting power extended, with exceptions of medical and dental degrees, A.B., and B.S.

Engineering survey class Left: Sophomore surveying class, Civil Engineering program, 1924.

1925

Sigma Society, honor society of the College of Business Administration, organized.

1926

Automobile school closes.

"Husky" chosen as Northeastern's mascot, King Husky I crowned.

1929

The University purchases land on Huntington Avenue.

First year of hockey as a varsity sport.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1930

Degree-granting power extended to include B.S. with specifications.

Acquisition of Botolph Building from the Boston YMCA.

Acquisition of Huntington Field in Brookline.

1933

First year of football as a varsity sport.

1934

Dramatic Club formed (later renamed The Silver Masque).

1935

Northeastern University Corporation established, making the university independent from the YMCA.

The College of Liberal Arts opens.

College of Engineering accredited by the University of the State of New York.

1937

The Academy, honor society of the College of Liberal Arts, organized.

1938

Richards Hall, the first building constucted by the University, completed.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1940

Frank Palmer Speare retires, Carl Stephens Ell inaugurated as second president.

University added to the list of institutional members of the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

First Northeastern University teaching fellows (Department of Chemistry).

1941

College of Business Administration and College of Liberal Arts accredited by the University of the State of New York.

Department of Chemistry accredited by the American Chemical Society.

University made an institutional member of the American Council on Education.

Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, national honor society, established in the College of Engineering.

Science Hall occupied.

1942

University made an institutional member of the Association of American Colleges.

Curriculum in Chemical Engineering accredited by the Engineers' Council for Professional Development.

Right: First women students in the Day Colleges register for classes. Photo of first women students in Day Colleges

1943

Women students admitted to the Day Colleges.

Alumni Office created.

School of Law accredited by the University of the State of New York.

1945

The University accepts its first sponsored research contract, a $10,000 project for the Office of Naval Research.

School of Law made a member of the Association of American Law Schools.

1947

Student Center occupied.

1948

College of Engineering offers the University's first graduate courses.

Fiftieth Anniversary convocation and banquet, October 2.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1951

Army ROTC established.

1952

Library Building occupied.

1953

College of Education opens.

Closing of School of Law announced.

1954

Physical Education Center occupied.

Faculty Committee on Development and Co-ordination of Research formed.

1956

School of Law closes.

Hayden Hall occupied.

1957

Physical Education Center named Godfrey Lowell Cabot Physical Education Center.

1958

Student Center Building named Carl Stephens Ell Student Center.

Graduate School established.

Asa Smallidge Knowles is named President-Elect, October 1.

1959

Graduate Center occupied.

Library Building named Robert Gray Dodge Library.

Carl S. Ell retires, Asa Smallidge Knowles is inaugurated as third president.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1960

University College and Center for Continuing Education are established.

College of Business Administration merges with Evening School of Business.

Acquisition of Boston Storage Warehouse property on Huntington Avenue. Building demolished to make room for expanded faculty-staff parking facilities.

Medical Technology Program inaugurated, in cooperation with New England Deaconess and New England Baptist hospitals.

Celebration of 50th year of the College of Engineering and of Co-operative Education at Northeastern, April 21

1961

Faculty Senate established.

Purchase of additional land contiguous to the Huntington Avenue campus: Boston Storage Warehouse property, 1.0 acre; United Realty property, 7.3 acres; Boston and Providence Railroad property, 12.3 acres; plus several smaller parcels of land.

Acquisition of the Roosevelt Apartment building, later to become the West Dormitory for Men

Acquisition of Henderson House, new Center for Continuing Education in Weston. This 36 room building was the gift of the late Ernest Henderson, a member of the Corporation and Board of Trustees.

Inauguration of the Diamond Anniversary Development Program. The originally announced total goal of the campaign was $40 million, but was later revised to $65.5 million.

1962

Merger of Northeastern with the New England College of Pharmacy results in the College of Pharmacy of Northeastern University.

College of Business Administration admitted to membership in the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business.

1963

Robert Gray Dodge Library officially designated as a depository of Federal government publications and documents.

Graduate School of Actuarial Science established.

Acquisition of Forsyth Annex, former J.P. O'Connell building on Forsyth Street, for administrative use.

Dedication of the Sarkis and Vosgitel Mugar Life Sciences Building. Named in memory of Sarkis and Vosgitel Mugar, parents of Stephen P. Mugar, a member of the Corporation and Board of Trustees. Contains the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Departments of Psychology, Biology, and Chemical Engineering, and laboratories and classrooms.

Began affiliation with Forsyth Dental School by providing housing for their students and by later conferring their degrees.

1964

School of Nursing established.

Boston-Bouvé School of Physical Education merges with Northeastern, becoming Boston-Bouvé College of Northeastern University.

Northeastern establishes its first satellite campus in Burlington, Mass.

Establishment of chapter of Phi Kappa Phi honor society.

Dedication of Frank Palmer Speare Hall, new dormitory for women. This facility was named in honor and memory of the University's first President.

1965

Graduate School of Professional Accounting established.

Center for Cooperative Education established.

Dedication of the Carl Stephens Ell Student Center addition.

Acquired lease, with option to buy, to dormitories at 115 and 119 Hemenway Street.

1966

Dedication of Mary Gass Robinson Hall. Named by Dwight P. Robinson, Jr., a member of the Corporation and Board of Trustees, in honor of his wife. Contains College of Nursing, Department of Physical Therapy, radio and TV facilities, and classrooms and laboratories.

Dedication of Charles and Annie S. Stetson Hall West, new women's dormitory. Named in memory of Charles Stetson, a former member of the Corporation and Board of Trustees, and his mother, Annie S. Stetson.

Graduate Center Building renamed Everett Avery Churchill Hall, in memory of the former Vice President and Secretary of the University.

The following student residences on the Huntington Avenue Campus were also named:

Galen David Light Hall (St. Stephen Street dormitory for women), in honor of the first Secretary and Treasurer of the University.

William Lincoln Smith Hall (Hemenway Street dormitory for women), in memory of Northeastern's first professor.

William Crombie White Hall (West Dormitory for Men), in honor of the former Executive Vice President of the University

Harold Wesley Melvin Hall (90 The Fenway men's residence), in honor of the University's first Dean of Students.

Property at 102-104 The Fenway acquired from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. These facilities are now used to house a major portion of the College of Education.

Twenty-acre former Nike site in Nahant acquired from the federal government to allow the University to begin development of a marine science research institute.

Dormitory space in buildings between 106 and 122 St. Stephen Street leased with option to buy.

1967

College of Criminal Justice established.

Henry E. and Edith B. Warren Center for Physical Education dedicated in Ashland. This 200-acre site, containing a large lodge and six woodland cottages, was the gift of Mrs.Warren, whose husband invented the Telechron Clock. The Center provides the opportunity for students to gain practical experience in camp leadership and outdoor education.

Charles A. Dana Research Center dedicated to recognize a distinguished philanthropist and benefactor of the University. Houses research laboratories and offices for the Departments of Physics and Electrical Engineering.

Stetson Hall East, a dormitory extension for women opened.

75 additional acres of land adjacent to the Burlington campus acquired for botany research.

Northeastern becomes the largest private university in the nation in terms of total enrollment.

1968

School of Law reopens, the first cooperative law program in the United States.

Women's basketball, field hockey, and lacrosse teams added to the varsity roster.

Charles and Estelle Dockser Hall dedicated--the first building at the University to be named in honor of an alumnus. Mr. Dockser was a member of the Class of 1930 and of the University Corporation. Contains Boston-Bouvé College, laboratories, classrooms, and extensive facilities for physical education and recreation education.

The Vincenzo, Nicola, and Frederick Barletta Natatorium, an addition to the Godfrey Lowell Cabot Physical Education Center, opened. Nicola was a mamber of the class of 1936. Contains a 105-foot swimming pool for instruction and intercollegiate competition, a practice tank for the rowing team, and other physical education facilities.

1969

Edwards Marine Center opened in Nahant.

Edward L. Hurtig Hall, named by Carl R. Hurtig, '48, a member of the University Corporation, dedicated in memory of his brother. Devoted entirely to facilities of the Department of Chemistry.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1970

Afro-American Center opened on Leon Street. The University, which now provides scholarships annually to 200 minority students, recently announced the establishment of a new Afro-American Studies program at the Boston campus.

Ethel G. and Reuben B. Gryzmish Hall dedicated in honor of a distinguished law alumnus of the Class of 1912 and his wife.

1972

First issue of The Onyx, a student newspaper designed for people of color, published.

John A. Volpe Hall, named in honor of former Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, dedicated. Contains College of Criminal Justice, classrooms for Criminal Justice and for general University use.

The Board of Trustees votes to designate Gryzmish Hall and Volpe Hall as the Asa S. Knowles Center for Law and Criminal Justice.

Byron K. Elliott Hall dedicated in honor of the second Chairman of the Northeastern University Corporation and Board of Trustees.

Office of the National Commission for Cooperative Education established on the Boston campus.

1973

Institute for Chemical Analysis, Applications, and Forensic Science (later the Barnett Institute) is established.

Property at 96 The Fenway acquired for use as a faculty center. Formerly known as the Student House, the building also provides dormitory accommodations on the upper three floors.

Headquarters established on the Boston campus for the Institute of Off-Campus Experience and Cooperative Education. The Institute will operate as an entity entirely separate from the University.

Seventy-fifth Anniversary Convocation, October 3.

1974

NUPrime, Project Ujima, and Alternative Freshman Year programs implimented to help students prepare for college.

Norman and Helen Cahners Hall dedicated.

Diamond Anniversary Development Program concluded, raising of $67.8 million.

American Assembly of College Schools of Business accredits graduate programs in Business Administration and Professional Accounting.

Ford Hall Forum, oldest continuously operating public lecture series in the United States, located on campus.

1975

Asa S. Knowles retires, is replaced by Kenneth Gilmore Ryder.

Asa Knowles becomes Chancellor of the University.

Master of Science Program in Forensic Chemistry approved.

Endowed Chair on Cooperative Education designated the Asa Smallidge Knowles Professorship of Cooperative Education.

Designation of Health Service Center as Dr. George Martin Lane Health Service Center.

First election held to determine whether a majority of the faculty favor establishing a faculty union, November 6. The voted was inconclusive.

1976

Office of Community Development established to foster and strengthen Northeastern's relationship with the community.

John A. Curry appointed Vice President of Administration.

Second election held to determine faculty support for a union. The union movement is defeated, March 16.

Harry Allen appointed Provost.

Master Plan for Campus Development approved by Trustees, June 1.

Alternative Freshman Year Program initiated by University College.

Photo of artist's lecture Left: Dana Chandler, professor in the African-American Master Artists program.

1977

African-American Master Artists in Residence Program initiated.

Northeastern University Press established.

Paul Lepley appointed Dean of Bouvé College.

Geoffrey Clarkson appointed Dean of College of Business Administration.

Roland Goddu appointed Dean of College of Education.

Russell E. Call children's center opened, providing day care.

1978

University-wide honors program initiated.

First International Week sponsored by International Student Forum and Office of International Students.

Richard Astro appointed Dean of Liberal Arts.

Arthur Brodeur becomes first Vice President of Public Affairs.

Government Relations Office is established under leadership of Charles Coffin.

Willis Hall dormitory dedicated in honor of Robert and Betty Willis.

The Executive MBA Program is initiated by the College of Business Administration.

Northeastern purchases the Boston Arena.

1979

College of Liberal Arts becomes College of Arts & Sciences.

Vice President Daniel Roberts appointed Treasurer of the University.

Dean Melvin Mark becomes Provost.

Professor Karl Weiss appointed as the First Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Programs.

John O'Bryant appointed Vice President of Student Affairs.

Gerald Schumacher becomes Dean of Pharmacy.

Michael Meltsner appointed Dean of the School of Law.

John Jordan becomes Dean of University College.

George Harris appointed Director of Administrative Computer Services.

The renovated United Realty Buildings are dedicated and named to honor Dean Wilfred Lake, Professor Harold Meserve, Professor Frederick Holmes, and Professor Winthrop Nightingale.

The Excellence in Teaching Awards program initiated.

A Research and Scholarship Development fund established.

The Distinguished Professor Awards program established.

The First World Conference on Cooperative Education held at Brunel University in England.

Publication of Northeastern Edition begins.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1980

Women's Studies program initiated.

The College of Education merged with Boston-Bouvé College, and Paul Lepley is appointed Dean of the combined colleges.

Phase I of The Century Fund announced, with a goal of $43.25 million to be raised by 1985.

Harold Lurie appointed Dean of Engineering.

The Office of Sponsored Research established.

David Blake appointed Dean of the College of Business Administration.

A 25-member Northeastern delegation visits the People's Republic of China.

1981

Division of Fine Arts established, sponsors the first series of nuArts Contemporary Performances.

Northeastern assumes editorial responsibility for The New England Quarterly.

Women in Engineering, Women in Science, and Women in Information Systems programs formed.

The Academic Computer Services Department is established, with Paul Kalaghan as Director.

Kathryn Luttgens is appointed Vice Provost for Graduate Studies.

Office of International Affairs established, with Joy Viola as Dean.

Northeastern hosts the Second World Conference of Cooperative Education.

1982

Northeastern establishes the nation's first College of Computer Science.

The Boston Arena is remodeled and dedicated in honor of George and Hope Matthews.

A new classroom building dedicated in honor of George and Ellen Kariotis.

A new Publication named Re:Search initiated.

The High Technology M.B.A. Program established.

The Instructional Development Fund established.

President Ryder appointed to membership on the National Commission on Student Financial Assistance.

1983

Balfour Academy established to help Boston Public School students acquire the skills and confidence necessary to succeed in college.

James B. King appointed Senior Vice President and Director of Public Affairs.

Philip McDonald appointed Dean of the College of Business Administration.

Karl Weiss appointed Vice President for Research (1983-1987).

The Massachusetts Microelectronics Center established.

Northeastern acquires a new campus in Dedham.

School of Law Building completed and named in honor of Thomas E. Cargill.

The World Council on Cooperative Education established at conference held in Melbourne, Australia. President Ryder designated Founding Chairman of the association.

Network Northeastern begins TV broadcasts of educational programs to local corporations.

1984

Center for Study of Sport in Society established.

The new engineering building dedicated in honor of George and Lorraine Snell.

The State-of-the-Art Engineering program administratively linked to Network Northeastern.

Daniel Givelber becomes Dean of the School of Law.

Allen Benenfeld appointed Dean of the Northeastern Libraries.

The Center for Electromagnetic Research is initiated.

1985

Trustees vote to establish a Board of Overseers; the new board holds its first meeting in June.

Anthony Penna begins his term as Provost.

Richard Astro resigns as Dean of Arts and Sciences; J. Edwards Neighbor takes over as Acting Dean.

Paul Jones appointed Director of the Office of Public Relations.

The former Botolph Building dedicated in honor of David and Margaret Cullinane, parents of trustee John Cullinane, a generous donor of funds and computer software to the University.

The Home Country Placement program for international students initiated.

The first phase of The Century Fund program completed, with a total of $46.7 million raised.

1986

Board of Trustees voted to divest from companies with interests in South Africa.

Congress approves a grant of $13.5 million to Northeastern for construction of a new library; ground breaking is scheduled for October, 1987.

The Department of Journalism reorganized and renamed the School of Journalism.

Paul King begins service as Dean of the College of Engineering.

The Dedham Campus track completed and dedicated in honor of Bernard and Jolanne Solomon.

1987

The second phase of The Century Fund announced with a goal of $175 million. (Phase II program completed in 1991, and a total of $181.7 million is obtained.)

Northeastern establishes Honors program.

The long-range planning report entitled Strategic Directions for Northeastern University approved by the trustees.

Parking garage is completed.

David Boyd appointed Acting Dean of the College of Business Administration.

Robert Lowndes becomes Dean of Arts and Sciences.

Alumni Auditorium renamed to honor Professor Eugene Blackman, who served as Chairman of the Drama Department, 1947-1988.

Northeastern joins the National Technological University and begins broadcasting nationwide TV courses.

1988

Center for Communications and Digital Signal Processing established.

Latin American Student Organization (LASO) founded.

Paul Kalaghan replaces Karl Weiss as Vice Provost, and Alan Selman takes over as Acting Dean of the College of Computer Science.

David Boyd becomes Dean of the College of Business Administration.

James Gozzo is appointed Dean of the College of Pharmacy.

Robert Lowndes becomes Acting Provost.

The Division of Research Management assumes overall responsibility for research sponsorship, under the direction of Donald Helmuth.

An agreement negotiated with the Indonesian Ministry of Research and Technology, which provides financial support for many Indonesian students enrolling at Northeastern.

The College of Arts and Sciences begins a program called Ireland: North and South, giving students a chance to work and study in both parts of Ireland.

Chairman Robert Willis and President Kenneth Ryder announce to the Board of Trustees that they both plan to retire in June 1989.

1989

Kenneth G. Ryder retires, John A. Curry selected as fifth president.

James Gozzo becomes the Dean of the College of Pharmacy.

Eileen Zungolo becomes the Dean of the College of Nursing.

Graduate program in the College of Nursing established.

George Matthews elected Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

1989-1990

Northeastern's endowment stands at $150 million in July.

Barron's elevates Northeastern from its status as "less competitive" to a "competitive plus" institution.

Henderson Boathouse dedicated in November.

The Center for Effective Teaching created.

Roy Wooldridge, Vice President for Cooperative Education, retires in December.

Curry inaugurated as President in December.

University provides 500 personal computers for students and begins aggressive actions to add more.

Trustees approve a second mortgage plan, allotting $1.6 million to attract new faculty to the university.

In March, an international conference, "Particles, Strings, and Cosmology," is held on campus with Stephen Hawking as the main speaker, drawing physicists from around the world.

Senior Vice President James King leads a Northeastern delegation to assist with free elections in Romania, funded by a grant from the U.S. Democracy Training Project.

Journalist Marvin Kalb is the first speaker in Presidential Lecture Series initiated by President Curry.

Partly in response to Fenway neighborhood concerns, a new student code of conduct is developed.

Interim Co-op Vice President Karl Weiss begins major study of cooperative education with the involvement of 73 faculty and staff members. The so-called Cooperative Education Planning Project examines tenure for co-op professionals, administrative organization, marketing and advertising, and external funding.

In March, Trustees approve a 1990-1991 budget of nearly $232 million.

President Curry presents and the trustees approve a $25 million tax-exempt bond program for renovation and expansion of the School of Law; relocation of the College of Criminal Justice to Churchill Hall; the purchase of computer, research, and instructional equipment; the renovation of Dodge Hall into a new home for the College of Business Administration; a feasibility study for a new engineering/science building; and the purchase of a new warehouse.

Scholarships are increased for Ell Scholars and other honors students.

In April, Michael Baer is named provost.

Reebok provides a $750,000 grant for the Center for the Study of Sport in Society to combat racism in public schools.

In May, a major residence hall, West Hall, is named for Robert Willis, a chairman emeritus of the Board of Trustees; another residence hall, at 115-119 Hemenway, is named in memory of Christopher Kennedy, beloved students affairs administrator and Vice President for Administration.

In a speech to the university's corporation in May, President Curry predicts that cost-containment measures will be needed for 1990-1991 due to the recession, a decline in the number of high school graduates, and anticipated cutbacks in federal and state funding.

In June, President Curry freezes hiring for new positions and postpones salary increases until January 1, 1991.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

1990-1991

The university ends the 1989-1990 budget year with a $2.2 million surplus.

Asa Smallidge Knowles, Northeastern's third president, dies in August.

At the mid-September trustees' meeting, President Curry previews his "smaller but better" address to be delivered to faculty and staff the following week, in which he asks the community to join him in creating a bold new strategy leading to a leaner, better Northeastern. The trustees vote to create a special committee to assist Curry address enrollment issues.

Snell Library, named for the building's main benefactor, George Snell, opens in the fall.

Robert Culver becomes senior vice president and treasurer.

In October, the Ruggles Building is renamed Ryder Hall in honor of Chancellor Kenneth Gilmore Ryder.

Northeastern acquires a property at 27 Tavern Road and demolishes it, allowing the possibility of future building on the west side of campus.

The university trims $11 million from its $232 million 1990-1991 budget through salary deferral, a hiring freeze, and other measures.

President Curry calls for increased selectivity in admissions, noting that 10,300 of 10,600 applicants were admitted to the fall 1990 entering class.

In December, the Cooperative Education Planning Project committee makes more than 100 recommendations to enhance the co-op program, including improving connections between academics and co-op; changing tenure eligibility for co-op professionals; and enhancing marketing, technology, research, and organization.

Barry Karger, director of the Barnett Institute for Chemical Analysis and Materials Science, receives the National Institute of Health's Merit Award for $1 million.

Students ask that ROTC be ousted from campus by 1993; President Curry refuses but publicly denounces the U.S. Defense Department's policy discriminating against gays.

Students recommend a major renovation of the student center.

In December, a guide to the nation's top business schools published by Prentice Hall lists the College of Business Administration's graduate program as one of the best in the country.

Barry Gallup is hired as football coach.

In January, President Curry announces the layoff of 175 staff; a total of 400 positions are eliminated through attrition, buyouts, and early retirement.

Provost Baer establishes a committee to consider merging the colleges of engineering and computer science.

In January, engineering professor J. Spencer Rochefort and senior research associate Lawrence O'Connor win a $9.5 million, five-year U.S. Air Force grant.

President Curry eliminates four vice presidential positions as part of university downsizing.

Jeanne Rowlands, pioneer in women's athletics at Northeastern, retires; the men's and women's athletics departments are merged several months later.

American Rowing magazine selects Henderson Boathouse as the best boathouse in the United States.

Northeastern's development office announces its best cash year ever as The Century Fund – Phase II draws to a close.

In February, Boston Mayor Raymond Flynn chooses Northeastern to undertake massive study of the Boston public schools.

Northeastern is admitted to the Yankee Conference in football.

State scholarships for Massachusetts college and university students drop from $80 million to $40 million.

The university purchases a warehouse on Atherton Street in Jamaica Plain.

Northeastern ranks fourth nationally in terms of the number of physician assistant program students passing the national licensing examination.

In April, Neal Finnegan, chair of the trustees' special committee on enrollments, reports that the committee and Curry agree that Northeastern must improve selectivity and retention and move in new strategic directions.

In May, U.S. News & World Report rates the School of Law fourth nationally for its clinical training program.

Viewlogic Systems, Inc., of Marlboro, Mass., donates $4 million in software, the largest such gift in the university's history.

In May, the university recognizes Thomas "Tip" O'Neill, Jr., Speaker of the House, by naming a political science chair in his honor.

Provost Baer announces a "strategic initiatives" program to generate academic innovation.

The Trustees approve a $213 million budget for 1991-1992, $19 million less than the previous year's budget.

In May, Jane Scarborough becomes Northeastern's first woman vice president, leading cooperative education; James Fox named interim Dean of the College of Criminal Justice.

President Curry elected chairman of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Massachusetts by his private university colleagues.

In June, The Century Fund – Phase II is successfully completed, surpassing its $175 million goal by nearly $12 million.

The W. K. Kellogg Foundation awards $6 million to the College of Nursing and local university and health center partners for an initiative in community health education.

In a campus survey, 82 percent of students gave high ratings to co-op.

In June, the Faculty Senate overwhelmingly supports a new faculty classification plan for co-op professionals.

James Fox named Dean of the College of Criminal Justice.

First Lady Barbara Bush speaks at Northeastern's June commencement.

Psychology professor Harlan Lane wins a prestigious MacArthur Foundation "genius" grant.

1991-1992

Budget year 1990-1991 ends with a surplus of more than $350,000.

In the fall, the Center for the Study of Sport in Society is awarded $1.1 million by the National Football League to expand nationally Project Teamwork, a public schools program aimed at combating racism and violence.

In August, President Curry is keynote speaker at the World Conference on Cooperative Education in Hong Kong.

Northeastern's office of international cooperative education wins a $900,000 grant from the U.S. Agency for International Development to introduce cooperative education in Asia.

Sociology professor Jack Levin named Massachusetts College Teacher of the Year.

In the fall, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department ranks second in external funding only to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology among all New England electrical engineering departments, according to the American Society of Engineering Education.

More than 650 faculty and staff volunteer to become "freshman friends" to assure a more student-centered environment.

In October, U.S. President George Bush approves $45 million for cooperative education expansion after intense lobbying by the Northeastern administration.

Northeastern's Public Relations Department generates an all-time high of 2,000 national news placements per quarter.

In fall 1991, university-wide plant improvements include landscaping Cabot Court and the Hurtig-Robinson quadrangle, renovating Blackman Auditorium, building a new entrance to Matthews Arena, and creating basketball courts on the Speare parking area.

Boston Edison sponsors $3.5 million energy conservation program at Northeastern.

In October, senior administrators complete updated facilities master plan, including an engineering/science research center, new classrooms, a recreation center, parking improvements, and building renovations.

Northeastern's financial aid budget increased to $16 million, up $4 million from 1989, despite budget cutbacks in most areas.

Following transfer of Boston University's graduate nursing programs to Northeastern, the programs receive accreditation.

In the winter, the Board of Trustees approves major parts of a five-year master plan for facilities, including engineering/science research center, new home in Dodge Hall for the College of Business Administration, renovated administration building at 716 Columbus Avenue, classroom building, steam plant, overhaul of Parsons Field, and new telecommunications system. To fund master plan projects and refinance the university's debt, the Trustees approve a $90 million tax-exempt bond.

Forbes magazine lists 200 leaders of top small companies in the United States, noting that more of them graduated from Northeastern than any other university.

Peter Stace appointed Vice Provost for enrollment management in January.

Four hundred and fifty positions eliminated from the budget since late 1990.

Network Northeastern begins new series of televised courses to area hospitals.

Northeastern receives $6 million federal grant for its new engineering/science research center.

President Curry awarded new five-year contract through 1996 following a favorable trustee review.

Despite enrollment drop, Northeastern expands and improves its classrooms by constructing new ones and upgrading existing ones.

Thomas Campbell, distinguished law professor, named interim Dean of the School of Law.

In March, Board of Trustees, on the recommendation of the administration, approves a 1992-1993 budget of $217 million.

Associated Press runs a national story in March noting that Northeastern is "ahead of the curve" in facing the tough issues in higher education, and the Association of Governing Boards compliments the university for dealing proactively with budget problems by eliminating positions.

In April, colors and flags added across campus to improve the environment and enhance building identification.

President Curry appoints commission on tolerance, diversity, and community, chaired by Professor Harlan Lane, to recommend ways to provide a welcoming environment for diverse populations.

For a week in May, AIDS Quilt displayed as a tribute to the university's leadership on tolerance and diversity issues.

Since 1990, state scholarships for college and university students cut from $86 million to $35 million; Northeastern students' portion drops from $5.5 million to $2.5 million in 1992 alone.

University holds first reception honoring all faculty members who published books during the 1991-1992 academic year.

Northeastern's alumni magazine awarded gold medal for best quality in the United States from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).

President Curry's leadership of Northeastern highlighted in the Boston Business Journal.

Hallenborg Way, a pathway between Leon Street and Huntington Avenue, dedicated in memory of physical planning director, Charles Hallenborg.

Speare Hall designated a "learning-living center" as Northeastern continues to differentiate residence halls for greater student choice.

In May, Northeastern wins national award from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education for mobilizing alumni fundraising support.

Northeastern is sole urban university honored by Barbara Bush and the American Association of Nurserymen for landscaping improvements.

In June, Board of Trustees approves a goal of $225 million for Centennial capital campaign.

President Curry continues as chair of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Massachusetts. In this role, he convinces the legislative leadership to override Governor Weld's veto and to boost state scholarships for college students from $35 million to $54 million for the following academic year.

The College of Nursing begins nurse anesthesia program with the New England Medical Center.

In July, President Curry visits President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt at the University of Alexandria to discuss feasibility of introducing cooperative education to Egyptian universities.

David Hall named Dean of the School of Law.

1992-1993

John D. O'Bryant, Vice President for Student Affairs, dies in July.

University ends the 1992 fiscal year with a surplus of $231,000.

In the fall, average SAT scores for entering freshmen are 34 points higher than in 1991, with the national average up only 3 points for that same period.

Despite the recession, 97 percent of Northeastern's co-op students are working.

Academic strategic planning process, initiated by provost Baer, begins with the creation of a steering committee, college task forces, university-wide task forces, and a set of operating principles, with the anticipation that hundreds of faculty members will be involved.

Freshman enrollments top 2,500, stronger than the budgeted figure of 2,400.

James Fox is appointed Dean of the College of Criminal Justice.

In October, university names its African-American Institute in honor of John D. O'Bryant.

Karen Rigg named Vice President for Student Affairs; George Harris is named Vice President for Information Services.

Vice Provost Peter Stace introduces integrated enrollment management model.

Provost Baer announces that between 1990 and 1992, budget cuts in academic areas have totaled $33 million.

In October, Northeastern receives $9 million federal grant for engineering/science center in addition to $6 million previously obtained, thanks to intense congressional lobbying.

President Curry institutes smoking ban on campus.

The Warren Center in Ashland converted from recreation center to major conference center.

Northeastern begins first phase of computer networking project, aimed at creating the so-called "connected" campus.

In December, Mayor Raymond Flynn names Northeastern the "best non-profit institution" in Boston.

By December, honors students enrolled number more than 1,200, up from 400 in 1989.

Trustee George Behrakis provides $1 million for endowed chair in Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

In January, administration announces 626 positions have been eliminated from the budget since late 1990.

University modernizes 31 computer labs.

In a winter referendum, students approve raising their $12.50 quarterly student center fees to $50 to help pay for a renovated center.

In April, senior Vice President Robert Culver announces that, in real dollars, the 1994 projected budget is 20 percent lower than the 1990 budget.

The lobby of Richards Hall upgraded to provide an improved entryway to the admissions office.

Assistant engineering Dean David Blackman wins more than $5 million from the National Science Foundation to assist 4,000 minority students in the Boston schools in math education.

President Clinton, through his National Service Program, awards $1 million to City Year and its educational partner, Northeastern.

Larry Finkelstein named interim Dean of the College of Computer Science.

Enrollment officials report that inquiries for the freshman class improved from 14,000 to 69,000 in one year.

In May, endowment stands at $211 million, representing growth of 39 percent since 1989.

College of Criminal Justice and African-American Institute celebrate silver anniversaries.

In May, National Association of College and University Business Officers gives its annual "rightsizing" award to Northeastern.

In June, the NBC News show Nightline features a segment on Northeastern and cooperative education.

The trustees approve $17 million student center renovation.

In June, Katherine Pendergast named Vice President for human resources management.

University decides to provide same-sex health benefits for the partners of faculty and staff.

President Clinton is commencement speaker, addresses packed house at Boston Garden.

Boston-Bouvé and College of Pharmacy merge to become the Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

Interdisciplinary program in Latino, Latin American, and Caribbean Studies implemented.

1993-1994

At President Clinton's invitation, President Curry, student commencement speaker Douglas Luffborough, and Luggborough's mother visit the White House.

Reggie Lewis, Husky hoop star and Boston Celtic captain, dies; his funeral at Northeastern's Matthews Arena draws huge crowds.

Fiscal year 1993 ends with a surplus of $993,000; the endowment stands at $223 million in September.

Three renovated facilities open: Dodge Hall, the university bookstore, and the student center food court.

Average SAT scores of entering freshmen rise to 996, up 50 points over a two-year period; retention is up 5 percent among upper-classmen

Statue of Cy Young, a gift from the Red Sox and the Yawkey Foundation, placed outside Churchill Hall on site of first World Series in 1903.

In October, a student residence at 157-163 Hemenway Street dedicated in memory of Kenneth Loftman, longtime member of the Board of Trustees.

Robinson quadrangle landscaped.

Provost Baer announces the completion of strategic plan for academics.

President Curry invited to the White House Rose Garden for President Clinton's National Service Program announcement. Eli Segal, head of the program, praises Curry for being the first university president to support the program's concept.

Students plan for renovation of upper floors of the student center.

President Curry names the Distinguished University Professors for trustee chair George Matthews and his wife, Kathleen Waters Matthews, major benefactors of the program.

In fall 1993, alumni annual giving increases to $2 million a year, from a start of $5,000 in 1943.

"Flame of Hope," Northeastern's first outdoor sculpture, donated by Stanley Young, placed at the corner of Huntington Avenue and Forsyth Street.

Trustees approve plans for $12 million recreation center at the corner of Huntington Avenue and Forsyth Street, the first recreation building on campus since the Cabot Center, built in 1954.

Project Vote Smart, a national election monitoring group, moves to Northeastern, offering opportunities for 150 interns to become involved in election processes.

Northeastern's student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers, known for its community service projects, wins the Society's Ridgway Award for the ninth time for being the most outstanding group of its kind in the country.

University College opens an emergency medical services institute in Ireland.

Northeastern's physician assistant program signs five-year agreement with the Tufts School of Medicine to perform community-based teaching programs.

Faculty Senate approves the academic strategic plan. A short time later, the plan is approved by the entire faculty and later by the Trustees. The plan's themes revolve around the idea of the "connected campus", an enhanced intellectual community, a student-centered campus, and a culturally diverse university.

Northeastern affiliates with Hebrew College, allowing students to take courses there.

By December, Northeastern has eliminated nearly 700 positions since late 1990, excluding financial aid, debt service, salary pools, and buyouts, the projected operating budget for 1995 will be 7 percent lower than the 1990 budget.

In March, Irish president Mary Robinson receives honorary degree from Northeastern.

Trustees approve operating budget of $241 million for 1994-1995.

In the spring, Northeastern's increased selectivity prompts Moody's to rate the university A; Standard & Poor's rates it A/A-.

National Jurist magazine rates Northeastern the top school in the country for public interest law.

P.J. Patterson, prime minister of Jamaica, awarded a Northeastern honorary degree in May.

Outstanding trustee benefactor George Snell, who provided naming gifts both for Snell Library and Snell Engineering Center, provides another $300,000 to enhance endowed professorships in engineering and health sciences.

After serving Northeastern for more than 33 years, Eugene Reppucci, Jr., Senior Vice President for Development, announces in March that he will retire the following December.

In April, the prestigious Carnegie Foundation upgrades Northeastern from a Doctoral II institution to a Research II institution, an upgrade of two levels, putting the university in a category shared by only 70 other U.S. universities.

Larry Finkelstein named Dean of the College of Computer Science.

The renovated Dodge Hall is dedicated in May. Trustee Richard Ockerbloom, president of the Boston Globe, led the successful drive to raise $4.6 million toward the $12 million cost of the renovation, which provided a new home for the College of Business Administration.

Student Affairs Vice President Karen Rigg introduces a longer summer orientation program for freshmen aimed at strengthening their connection to the university.

Northeastern completes the first phase of its plan to wire the campus for the Internet and begins the second phase.

Northeastern's alumni magazine wins a top award from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education.

In May, trustee Richard Egan provides the single largest gift in the university's history, $6.7 million, to name the new engineering/science research center.

Ira Weiss named Dean of the College of Business Administration.

Trustee Harvey "Chet" Krentzman provides $700,000 to fund landscaping; Huntington Avenue quadrangle named in his honor.

Groundbreaking for a new classroom building, the centerpiece of the university's expansion toward the west side of campus.

1994-1995

Fiscal year 1994 ends with $16.8 million in pledges, making it the second best year in the university's history; the university's operating budget shows a surplus of more than $800,000.

Northeastern enters its fifth and final year of smaller classes replacing larger classes; there are now 10,600 undergraduates in school, down from 15,200 in 1989-1990.

In September, five computer kiosks installed across campus, allowing students easy access to information about schedules, advising, and grades.

The university opens downtown campus at 89 Broad Street.

International Student Center opens in Ell building.

Northeastern initiates The Center for Women & Enterprise.

Undergraduate enrollments remain stable but increased competition causes graduate school and University College enrollments to drop, creating a $3.5 million budget problem.

Ground broken for the Maureen and Richard J. Egan Engineering/Science Research Center in October.

Public kickoff for Centennial Campaign held in November at the Copley Plaza hotel.

Muhammad Ali presented an honorary degree at the Center for the Study of Sport in Society banquet.

In December, Senior Vice President for development Eugene Reppucci, Jr., retires after 33 years of service to the university.

The Pew Foundation selects Northeastern as one of 30 universities to host the Pew Roundtable, due largely to the university's strategic planning effort.

Implementation of the academic strategic plan begins. Themes include forming a more student-centered learning environment, focusing on quality, improving infrastructure to support academics, strengthening community outreach and involvement, and better integrating co-op and academics.

U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich delivers keynote address at the November celebration of the Master of Public Administration program's 25th anniversary.

Richard Meyer named senior Vice President for Development in December; Robert Vozzella becomes Vice President for Cooperative Education.

To adjust for a $3.5 million expected budget problem, academic and administrative budgets are reduced an average of 2.6 percent.

Northeastern announces honors scholarship program for Boston high school graduates in the top 5 percent of their class and need-based scholarships for those with B averages.

The Fenway cultural district enhanced by the addition of greenery on a traffic island outside the Boston YMCA.

Trustees approve a $7 million bond to complete the job of wiring all campus buildings to give every faculty member, student, and administrator computer connections to the rest of the university and the world beyond.

President Curry is among a small number of college and university leaders to meet with House Speaker Newt Gingrich to stress the importance of federal financial aid for students.

A committee chaired by history professor William Fowler begins to evaluate Northeastern's athletics department for compliance with NCAA academic and fiscal integrity standards.

In March, the Trustees approve a fiscal year 1996 budget of $252 million.

President Curry announces that $5 million has been cut from the fiscal year 1995 budget to cover a projected shortfall.

Northeastern receives a $2 million equipment grant for the Egan Center from the National Science Foundation.

W.K. Kellogg Foundation provides $2.6 million to the College of Nursing for its community health education program and $1 million more for the college's involvement with the "Boston Rises to Help Its Poor" program.

In the spring, Ryder Hall refurbished with 29 classrooms and a new student commons; redesign of 716 Columbus Avenue completed, establishing a Northeastern presence in Roxbury for the first time.

In April, ground broken for recreation center, funded by a multimillion-dollar grant from alumnus Roger Marino and his wife, Michelle.

Faculty Senate approves the awarding of "experiential learning" credit for co-op on student transcripts.

In May, Northeastern implements "Academic Common Experience" as the core learning model for undergraduates.

President Curry appoints blue-ribbon commission, headed by attorney and Boston Coalition head John Driscoll, to investigate the integrity of Northeastern's athletics programs and allegations of Reggie Lewis' drug use in the 1980s.

U.S. News & World Report names the College of Criminal Justice one of four leading criminal justice programs in the country.

Collge of Engineering merges its mechanical and industrial engineering programs.

College of Business Administration offers a joint MBA-health management program in conjunction with Tufts Medical School and Brandeis University.

Law students passing the Bar at a rate of 93.7 percent, second highest among Massachusetts law programs; School of Law opens Urban Law and Public Policy Institute

Massachusetts governor William Weld delivers the keynote address at Northeastern's June commencement.

Offices of the World Association for Cooperative Education move Canada's Mohawk College to Northeastern.

1995-1996

Fiscal Year 1995 ends with a surplus of $18,000; the endowment stands at $253 million as of September; and total university assets have increased by $21 million since fall 1994. In addition, the year saw $2 million spent on faculty buyouts.

Average freshman SAT scores rise 13 points to 1004. Bouvé College's freshman scores have risen 100 points since 1992. The Alternative Freshman Year developmental program now enrolls 13 percent of freshmen, down from 25 percent at its peak.

New classroom building opens.

Total pledges of $20 million make 1994-1995 the best fundraising year in Northeastern's history.

Disability Resource Center serves 555 students, up from 100 served in 1988.

As of the beginning of fall quarter, 98 percent of co-op students are employed.

Trustee John Lowell provides $1.1 million to move Lowell Institute, an evening technical program, from MIT to Northeastern.

The Center for the Study of Sport in Society receives $1 million grant from President Clinton's AmeriCorps program to support national expansion for Project Teamwork, aimed at training youth in conflict resolution.

Astronaut alumnus Albert Sacco, Jr., carries the Northeastern University flag on the space shuttle.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino provides $4 million for improvements to the Fenway cultural district along Huntington Avenue.

Senior Vice President Robert Culver begins negotiations to purchase an office building and land tracts near the university on a site known as Parcel 18.

Key trustee benefactor George Snell provides $300,000 to upgrade Northeastern's library archives.

Although freshman enrollment goals are met, lower-than-anticipated enrollments in the upper classes and in continuing education cause a $3 million budget problem.

School of Law receives $1.6 million Department of Education grant to support its urban legal education work.

In November, Jean Eddy named Vice Provost for enrollment management.

Strategic planning implementation process continues with FIPSE (Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education) providing financial support to Northeastern for its Academic Common Experience initiative.

American Council on Education selects Northeastern as one of six universities ahead of the curve in transforming their institutions.

Barron's names Northeastern an outstanding institution.

College of Engineering combines its mechanical and industrial engineering departments into department of mechanical, industrial, and manufacturing engineering.

Northeastern's Excellence in Teaching awards named for beloved mechanical engineering professor Alfred Ferretti in December; in February, the university celebrates Ferretti's 100th birthday.

Graduate Student Association is formed at Northeastern University.

Latino Student Center opens on Forsyth Street.

In January, faculty members say they are willing to give up raises for 1996-1997, provided the university continues investments in technology and buyouts.

In February, Boston Coalition provides $50,000 for Northeastern to take a leadership role in alcohol education programming.

Trustees approve a 1996-1997 budget of $259 million.

President Curry forms restructuring committee of faculty, administrators, staff, and students to make recommendations concerning ongoing structural imbalances in the university's budget.

In March, senior Vice President Robert Culver announces that, in real dollars, university operating expenses have been reduced by 26.4 percent since 1990.

Trustees authorize borrowing from the endowment fund to finance additional faculty buyouts and technology improvements.

Krentzman Quadrangle dedicated in May.

Centennial Campaign, with a goal of $225 million, has $175 million in hand; gifts have come in from more than 20,000, or 21 percent, of alumni.

As of March, endowment stands at $273 million, in the top 90 among universities and up 100 percent since 1989.

Princeton Review names the School of Law best in the nation in terms of quality of life for faculty and students.

University introduces the idea of a parking garage on Parcel 18 and additional housing units on Columbus Avenue.

At June commencement, Board of Trustees awards an honorary degree to President Curry.

As President Curry steps down in September, $191.3 million toward the $225 million Centennial Campaign reached; of the total, $92.5 million has been raised to support academic programs.

Freshman enrollments again exceed goals, as 2,975 new students register, with enrollments higher than expected in every college

Restructuring committee presents a plan suggesting a $9 million cut in the operating budget and various methods to increase revenue by $6 million.

President Curry's final budget (1995-1996) is balanced with a surplus of $93,000; the endowment stands at $286 million.

May 1996 Richard M. Freeland is appointed sixth President of Northeastern University.

Northeastern Cheerleaders perform with 19 other college squads in the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games on July 19th.

Marino Recreational Center opens in September.

Allen Soyster is named the Dean of the College of Engineering.

The Institute for Responsive Education, a public school reform and development center, moves to Northeastern.

The Egan Research Center opens in October 1996.

The Lowell Institute School officially merges with Northeastern's School of Engineering Technology in the fall.

In November, the Student Center is renamed the John A. and Marcia E. Curry Student Center in honor of President Curry and his wife.

1997

Plans announced to merge the Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and the College of Nursing. The proposed Bouvé College of Health Sciences will include a School of Pharmacy and a School of Nursing.

President Freedland is inaugurated at Mathews Arena as the sixth President of the University on January 17, 1997.

Albert Sacco Jr. is named the George A. Snell Distinguished Chair in Engineering.

NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) selects Northeastern as the site of one of its ten commercial space centers.

Northeastern recreates its graduate accounting program at the Moscow State University.

The women's hockey team wins the Beanpot and goes to the ECAC Championship.

The women's crew team becomes one of 16 teams nationally to qualify for the first NCAA Women's Crew Championships.

On April 16, 1997, Mikhail Gorbachev announces Northeastern University will be the home of the Gorbachev Foundation of North America to bring together political and spiritual leaders with scholars from around the world. George Matthews, the chairman of NU's Board of Trustees, is named chairman of the foundation.

Centennial Path is unveiled in May.

In late spring, NU's $17 million bid to buy Ruggles Center is approved by Bank Boston and Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The NU Alive Celebration is replaced by Springfest.

In early summer, Northeastern buys Maxwell Jumps.

During the summer, the first floor of Meserve Hall is transformed into the Center for Integrated Academic and Experiential Education.

New Latino⁄Latina Student Cultural Center opens in the Forsyth Annex.

University College and the Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences institute a Master of Science program in Applied Educational Psychology at the Northeastern branch of the Tel Aviv campus.

Henderson House, the University's conference and event facility located in Weston, Massachusetts, is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Boston Pops conducted by Keith Lockhart perform at Northeastern University as the opening event of the year long Centennial Celebration on October 15th.

The College of Arts and Sciences sponsors a series of campus addresses by Nobel Laureates, including the former President of Costa Rica Oscar Arias and South African writer Nadine Gordimer.

In November, the Student Government Association passes its first Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy.

In December, William Fowler Jr., chair of the History department, becomes the Director of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

In December, Northeastern officially dedicates Ruggles Center as Renaissance Park.

Bouvé in conjunction with New England Baptist Hospital opens a new rehabilitation center on the ground floor of the Marino Recreational Center.

In December, the Board of Trustees officially authorizes the merger of the Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Science with the College of Nursing.

1998

Northeastern University celebrates its Centennial Anniversary.

The Northeastern Field Hockey team wins the American East Championship.

In February, Amiri Baraka, writer and black activist, performs at Northeastern.

Mayor Thomas Menino renames part of Huntington Avenue, "The Avenue of the Arts" and pledges a $2.8 million state grant to help revitalize the area.

On April 14, University officials break ground for the West Campus Residence Hall on the site of the Tavern Lot.

In April, Northeastern's Mr. Husky is named the nation's best mascot.

David Hall is named Provost in June.

James Stellar is named Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Neal Finnegan is named Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

The 2000 edition of the "News Week/Kaplan guide to Colleges and Universities" identifies Northeastern as one of the leading institutions in the attention that it pays to individual students.

The number of freshmen applications for admission to the College of Engineering increases by 55%.

In September, the Bouvé College of Health Sciences dedicated the Marion Frager Nursing Learning Laboratory in Robinson Hall.

George Behrakis pledges $6 million for the construction of a new health sciences building.

The women's basketball team wins the American East Championship.

The New England Association of Schools and Colleges grants the University an unconditional reaccreditation for 10 years.

The year long centennial celebration culminates on October 3rd.

The College of Business Administration in partnership with the Gorbachev Foundation of North America hosts a delegation from Poland led by former president Lech Walesa.

In October, the University introduces a new logo.

The Brudnick Center for the Study of Conflict and Violence hosts an international hate crimes conference in November.

Northeastern University along with two dozen other Boston-area colleges and universities signs a pact aimed at reducing underage and binge drinking by college students in December.

1999

On January 1st, the Bouvé College of Health Sciences is officially created with Professor Patrick Plunkett as interim Dean.

In January, President Freeland along with two dozen leaders in business, education, and labor meet with U.S. Vice President Al Gore to discuss job skills for the next century.

The Brooks Pharmacy Practice Laboratory opens in January.

Danny Glover and Felix Justice read speeches and other writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Langston Hughes in Blackman Auditorium in celebration of Black History Month in February.

A research team directed by Stephen Reucroft, Matthews Distinguished Professor of Physics, is awarded a $20.2 million grant from the National Science Foundation to construct a high energy particle detector in France.

On May 7, Tito Puente and his Latin Jazz Ensemble perform in Blackman Auditorium.

The Office of Technology Transfer opens.

Jack Greene is appointed Dean of the College of Criminal Justice.

Roger Abrams is named Dean of the Law School.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority approves Northeastern's ten-year master plan for campus development in June.

The Bouvé College of Health Sciences offers Perioperative Nurse Training Program, the first of its kind in Massachusetts.

University College offers a BS⁄BA degree program in Electronic Commerce.

On September 17, opening ceremonies are held for the West Campus A Dormitory.

Construction of the West Campus Residence Halls B and C begins.

Cabot Gym is renovated.

In the fall, University College opens a new campus at the Marlborough Middle School and begins offering MIS classes and a computer systems specialist program in Hingham.

The Center for Community Service and the School of Education open.

Northeastern hosts the 1999 Greater Boston Economic Summit.

In the fall of 1999, the School of Law earns the American Bar Association Law Students Division's Judy M. Weightman Memorial Public Interest School of the Year Award for dedication to and service in public interest.

In October, the Classroom Building is renamed Shillman Hall in honor of Robert Shillman.

In October, Northeastern breaks ground for a parking garage to be built next to the Renaissance Park complex.

Northeastern starts a campus wide initiative, "Student First" which is designed to improve student activities and student retention rates.

In doctoral students in manufacturing, engineering, and informative systems.

Stephen Zoloth is appointed Dean of Bouvé College of Health Sciences.

1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s
1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s
2000s |

2000

Stephen Zoloth is appointed Dean of Bouvé College of Health Sciences.

During June commencement, Madeleine Albright and John Kerry delivered the keynote addresses.

In June, the first class to study under the new MD⁄MBA in health management program completed their studies.

Average combined SATs for the incoming freshman is 1157. External funding for research rose above $40 million and giving totaled $31.8 million

U.S. News and World Report ranked the undergraduate program of the College of Engineering as 60th in the country and ranked its graduate program as 63rd in the country.

U.S. News and World Report ranked the Physician Assistant Program 15th in the country.

The Chronicle of Higher Education recognizes Northeastern's campus as one of the most attractive in the world.

The West Village Residence Halls B and C and the Renaissance Garage open at Renaissance Park in September.

The InfoCommons opens in Snell Library during the fall.

The University breaks ground for the Behrakis Health Sciences Center in the fall.

In November, the basketball court located in the Cabot Center is rededicated as the Bernard and Jolene Solomon Court.

2001

On January 11, President Bill Clinton speaks at Mathews Arena on his farewell tour.

In March, University College launches the Lamppost, an alumni newsletter.

In April, Daniel Robinson is named Dean of Pharmacy.

In mid-April, the University sponsors a national conference, "Understanding Practice-Oriented Education," raising the profile of Northeastern's educational model across the country.

In April, the Jewish Studies Program organized a symposium: "Third World Views of the Holocaust."

Professor Nicholas Daniloff is awarded a grant by the U. S. State Department to create a partnership between Northeastern's School of Journalism and the journalism department of the State University of World Languages, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

The Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, the Nano Manufacturing Research Institute, and the Race and Justice Research Center open.

Hillel House opens on St. Stephen Street.

Levine Marketplace opens in Stetson East.

In April, the NU-TRONS, a team of Northeastern and Boston-area high school students, win the 2001 national championship at the US FIRST National Robotics Competition for designing and building a robot.

The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department inaugurates the Capstone Design Laboratory.

Bill Richardson, former U. S. Energy Secretary, and Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Harvard business professor, deliver the keynote addresses during the June commencement.

Ceremonies are held in remembrance of the victims of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center.

In September, Davenport Commons opens.

AfterHOURS, Northeastern's night club, opens in November.

Northeastern researchers receive a two-year $750,000 W. M. Keck Foundation grant to develop a 3-D Fusion Microscope.

2002

The Department of Music launches the 21st Century Hip-Hop Library and Archive in January.

Japan's Ministry of Enterprise, Trade, and Industry selects Northeastern to train ten Japanese entrepreneurial students in April.

The College of Arts and Sciences opens the Summer Institute in Mathematical Studies as part of a program to integrate research and education.

The Center for Criminal Justice dedicates the H. Robert Sheehan Seminar Room in Churchill Hall.

Nine graduate certificate programs are approved by University College.

Construction begins for West Village Residence Halls G and H in the spring.

On July 15, Ian McCaw steps down as Athletic Director.

West Village Residence Hall E opens in September.

Ground is broken for Badger-Rosen Squashbusters Center, a fitness facility, in the fall.

Northeastern launches a $200 million fundraising campaign, the Leadership Campaign: New Pathways to Excellence in the fall.

Northeastern launches the Office for University Corporate Partnerships.

Center for Work and Learning is dedicated in the Stearns Center.

Northeastern holds the first annual International Industrial Organization Conference.

On November 12th, the Behrakis Health Sciences Center is dedicated.

2003

Undergraduate minor in Urban Studies and a PhD program in criminology and justice policy are available.

Doctorate programs are offered in Criminal Justice, Physical Therapy, and Audiology, and masters programs are offered in biotechnology, bioinformatics, and information assurance.

Northeastern officially switches from the quarter system to the semester system in September.

Christopher Hopey is appointed Vice President of University College.

Lynn Wachtel Lyford appointed Vice President for Cooperative Education.

Edward Klotzbier appointed Vice President for Student Affairs.

2004

West Village A, B, and C win the 2004 American Institute for Architects Honor Award, the profession's highest recognition.

The Massachusetts Horticultural Society honors Northeastern with a gold medal for campus landscaping.

Head football coach Don Brown resigns in the spring.

The College of Computer Information Science building is finished.

The Nanotechnology Laboratory opens.

University College changes its name to the School of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Northeastern marks the 100th anniversary of the first World Series played on the Huntington Avenue Grounds, with a symposium on America's game.

Northeastern wins a Boston History Collaborative History Marker Award.

Two research centers open: The Center for Urban Environmental Studies, and the Institute for Security and Public Policy.

The field hockey team, the women's indoor track team, the swimming and diving team, and the men's and women's outdoor track team are all American East Conference champions.

President Freeland announces that Northeastern will leave the American East Conference to join the Colonial Athletic Association on June 30, 2005.

In June, President Freeland becomes the President of the World Association for Cooperative Education.

On June 9th, the nanomaterials instrumentation facility in the Egan Research Center is dedicated.

New School of Technological Entrepreneurship opens.

During the fall, West Village H opens, housing the College of Computer and Information Science.

During the fall, West Village G opens.

In the fall, Northeastern's biannual research magazine Synthesis: Advancing Interdisciplinary Research débuts.

A gift from Marguerite Parker to Northeastern of $2.4 million to support the President Scholars Program is the largest in Northeastern history.

In December, Northeastern breaks ground on the West Village Residence Hall F which will house the John D. O'Bryant African American Institute.

2005

In April, a gas explosion in Kerr Hall injures several students.

Asian American Center opens.

Three architectural awards received: one from the American Institute of Architects, a Harleston Parker Medal from the Boston Society of Architects in recognition of West Village H, and an Outstanding Design Award from American School and University magazine in recognition of Speare Hall Commons student services center.

Center for Microwave Magnetic Materials and Integrated Circuits is established.

The Law School's Tobacco Control Clinic is renamed the Public Health and Legal Clinic.

Northeastern University Press joins the publishing consortium University Press of New England.

The Boston Red Sox adopt the Center for the Study of Sport in Society's Mentors in Violence Prevention program for their minor league players.

Northeastern becomes a member of the Compostela Group of Universities, a network of 80 European Universities.

A fire breaks out on the second floor of Ell Hall on April 2nd.

In May, St. Ann Church site on St. Stephen Street is purchased.

In June, Northeastern hosts the 14th annual World Co-op Conference.

In July, Maya Angelou visits the University.

In August, President Freeland announces he will step down in August 2006.

2006

Northeastern is ranked 115 by U.S. News and World Report.

External research funding jumps by 50% from $47 million to $70 million.

West Village Residence Hall F opens in the fall.

The National Cancer Institute awards a team of Northeastern researchers $3.3 million to establish a doctoral program in nanomedical science and technology.

2007

Joseph E. Aoun becomes Northeastern University's seventh president.

90% rate in freshman to sophomore retention.

More than 30,000 applicants for the fall 2007 class, a 12% increase from fall 2006.

Northeastern's Fenway Center reopens to house performances and other university functions.

The Honorable Sonia Sotomayor receives an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Northeastern University.

Mark Putnam is appointed Chief of Staff.

John H. McCarthy is appointed Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance.

Diane Nishigaya MacGillivray appointed Senior Vice President for Institutional Advancement.

Incoming Freshman class is most diverse in history of Northeastern.

Unified Digital Campus (UDC) project announced. $10-14 million to be used over three years for creating a central source of university information.

2008

The Northeastern News is renamed The Huntington News.

Steven W. Director appointed Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Sy Sternberg elected Chair of Board of Trustees.

2009

Northeastern's football program ends in November.

Co-op program expands to include a four-year bachelor's degree, beginning in the fall of 2010.

The Princeton Review names Northeastern one of only two universities in New England which made the Greet Rating Honor Roll for sustainability efforts on campus.

2010

Northeastern University's co-op program celebrates its centennial anniversary.

The bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture in the College of Arts and Sciences was created, along with a Ph.D. program in Information Assurance in the College of Computer and Information Science. Both will begin in the fall of 2011.

Effective on July 1, Northeastern University restructured the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Criminal Justice into three new schools: the College of Arts, Media and Design, the College of Science, and the College of Social Sciences and Humanities. While the College of Criminal Justice will become the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice within the College of Social Sciences and Humanities.

In September, the university broke the ground on the Burlington campus for the George J. Kostas Research Institute for Homeland Security.

Northeastern University, the YMCA of Greater Boston, and Phoenix Property Company have agreed to construct a 720-bed residence hall that will house undergraduates. The residence is due to be completed in 2013.

Awarded $13.5 million research grant by the National Institutes of Health in order to establish a Center for Translational Cancer Nanomedicine.

Northeastern named an Overall College Sustainability Leader and, for the fourth consecutive year, a Campus Sustainability Leader by the Sustainable Endowments Institute. The Sustainable Endowments Institute awarded Northeastern a grade of A-, one of the highest ratings in North America and the highest rating of any Boston-based university.

Yes.Oui.Si opens as a multi-genre art gallery.