After the end of World War II, Northeastern sought a more formal and permanent connection to the Department of Defense and applied for permission to form both US Air Force and a US Army ROTC units on campus. The application to the USAF was initially turned down; however, it was finally accepted in 1951, and the ROTC unit was officially formed under the command of Colonel Howard E. Price in time for the opening of the fall semester.
The Army ROTC program was administered by the new Department of Military Science and Tactics also established in 1951. Colonel Price acted as Professor of Military Strategy and Tactics for Northeastern, offering several courses per semester on military issues. ROTC-enrolled students received academic credit for participating in the program and for taking Colonel Price’s classes.
There were technically
two ROTC divisions present on campus: a Corps of Engineers unit and a
Signal Corps unit. Northeastern students from the civil, mechanical, or
industrial engineering programs were expected to enroll in the Corps of
Engineers unit; students from the electrical and chemical engineering
and all other programs enrolled in the Signal Corps. While the program
was not mandatory, over 800 students enrolled in ROTC during its first
|About the Exhibit | Rights & Usage | Resources | Archives Home | Library Home | NU Veterans' Memorial|