Science and Engineering
- ACM Digital Library (Current NU Only)
The ACM Digital Library contains full-text access to most ACM periodicals and conference proceedings from 1985 to the present, including proceedings and publications of affiliated societies. It replaces the library's suite of print ACM subscriptions. [More Info]
- Agricola (Free web resource)
The US National Agriculture Library's catalog of books and articles relating to agriculture.
- American Chemical Society Journals (Current NU Only)
Note: Selected titles are available only
- American Institute of Physics Journals (Current NU Only)
Note: View License Terms
- American Mathematical Society Journals (Current NU Only)
Note: Selected titles are available only
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Online Proceedings (Current NU Only)
Proceedings from 1996 to present (excluding 1997!)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Research Library (Current NU Only)
The ASCE Research Library is a comprehensive online tool for locating articles of interest across all disciplines of civil engineering. access to more than 73,000 full-text papers from ASCE Journals and Proceedings published. Approximately 4,000 new papers will be added each year.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Online Journals (Current NU Only)
Selected journals available in full text.
- ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library (SEDL) (Current NU Only )
Covers a broad range of engineering disciplines including aerospace, biomedical and solar. Provides electronic access to books, special technical publications and all issues of all ASTM journals. Includes the full text of all current ASTM standards. Downloadable.
- BioOne (Current NU plus alumni)
not-for-profit collaboration bringing together scientific societies, publishers, and libraries to provide access to critical, peer-reviewed research in the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences [More Info]
- BIOSIS Previews (1969- present) (Current NU Only)
Biological abstracts, the premier database of research in Biology and related disciplines. International coverage of scholarly articles, books and book chapters, meetings and conferences, patents and software. 1969-present, updated weekly.
- Building Green (Current NU Only)
Note: Browser security problems: View tech support for more info.
An array of media and information resources about green design. Includes Environmental Building News from 1992 to present, a Green Products directory, and 200 high performance buildings case studies.
- Burger's Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Discovery and Development (Current NU Only)
This online version of the 7th Edition of the major reference work, offering access to broad coverage of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery for new, as well as experienced, medicinal chemists, biologists, pharmacologists, and molecular biologists.
- Cambridge Univ. Press Journals On Line (Current NU plus alumni)
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health) Full-Text (Current NU Only)
The world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for more than 600 journals indexed in CINAHL. This authoritative file contains full text for many of the most used journals in the CINAHL index from 1981 to the most current issues. [More Info]
- Civil Engineering Database (CEDB) (Current NU Only)
Provides easy access to all the publications of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). It covers ASCE documents published since 1975 including all the journals, conference proceedings, books, standards, manuals, magazines and newsletters. There is full text access to the ASCE journals for which Snell library has a print subscription. [More Info]
- Compendex with Inspec (EI Village) (Current NU Only)
A comprehensive interdisciplinary engineering database, Compendex contains over 9 million records, and references over 5,000 international engineering sources including journals, conferences, and trade publications. 1969 to present, updated weekly. [More Info]
- Computers and Applied Sciences Complete (Current NU Only)
Abstracts for more than 1,800 academic journals (730 in full text), professional publications, and other reference sources from a diverse collection relating to computer science.
- Ei Village: Compendex and Inspec (Current NU Only)
Search Compendex and Inspec at the same time, including citations from the scientific and technical engineering literature plus physics, electrical engineering, computer science, nanotechnology, information theory and more. Journal articles, conference proceedings, dissertations, books, reports. Patents prior to 1976 only.
- Emerald Fulltext (Current NU Only)
Research journals in management science, with an emphasis on applications in a variety of industries and nonprofits.
- Encyclopedia of Earth (Open Access)
All about the Earth, its natural environments, and their interaction with society. Free, fully searchable articles written by scholars, professionals, educators, and experts who collaborate and review each other's work. Written in non-technical language useful to students, educators, scholars, professionals, as well as to the general public.
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (Current NU Only)
Complete and authoritative coverage of genetics compiled into a single, comprehensive source, containing a clear presentation of cutting-edge knowledge. A reference work for everyone from the academic researcher to the educated layperson.
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (Current NU Only)
Spanning the entire spectrum of life sciences, the Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS) features more than 4,400 specially commissioned and peer-reviewed articles. This alone makes it an essential read for life scientists as well as a valuable resource for teaching. The articles within ELS are written by leaders in the field to provide comprehensive and authoritative coverage of this subject area and are aimed at researchers, students and teachers alike.
All articles are accompanied by colour illustrations and tables. Appendix and glossary material provide essential information for the non-specialist, including biochemical and taxonomic information, acronyms, synonyms, units and other technical data. Importantly, since all articles have been peer-reviewed a balanced representation of the literature is ensured.
Terms and Conditions
- Encyclopedia of Materials: Science & Technology (Current NU Only)
Around 1,800 articles written by experts in their fields, resulting in a comprehensive coverage focusing on the following areas: * Functional Phenomena * Structural Phenomena * Fundamental Core Theory * Structural Materials * Polymers and Materials Chemistry * Functional Materials
- Encyclopedia of Microbiology, 3rd edition (Elsevier) (Current NU Only)
Designed for researchers, technicians, teachers and students of microbiology, biotechnology, and environmental sciences. Published in 2009.
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences, 2nd ed. (Current NU Only)
Over 400 encyclopedia articles, each approximately 3000-4000 words in length, with further reading lists and extensive cross referencing on the science of the oceans, including ancillary topics such as ocean technology, law of the oceans, global programs, marine policy, the use of the oceans for food and energy, and the impact of pollution and climate changes.Designed for a wide audience of students, academics, researchers, and professionals. The articles are written at a level that allows undergraduate students to understand the material, while providing active researchers with the latest technical information.
- Expanded Academic ASAP Plus (Gale Cengage) (Current NU Only)
Note: Available courtesy of the Massachusetts Board of Library Comissioners.
Journal articles in a variety of disciplines, including popular, professional, and scholarly.
- GeoRef (Current NU Only)
Searchable abstracts from the American Geological Institute containing references to geoscience journal articles, books, maps, conference papers, reports and theses.
- GreenFILE (NU Only)
Note: Not affiliated with NU? Choose the free web version of Greenfile
Drawing on the connection between the environment and disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology, GreenFILE is an informative resource for anyone concerned about our planet. The database contains nearly 300,000 records, full text for selected titles, and searchable cited references for more than 200 titles as well.
- IEEE/IEL Electronic Library/Xplore (Current NU Only)
Note: Maximum of 15 users at a time
Citations and full text published since 1988 and select content published since 1950 from:
IEEE journals, transactions, and magazines
IEEE conference proceedings
IEE conference proceedings
IEEE Spectrum Magazine
Proceedings of the IEEE
- IHS Engineering Resource Center (Current NU (on-campus use only))
Provides access to standards, specifications and related technical documents from military, commercial, national and international standards organizations (except ASTM* and IEEE)
To view and print a complete standard:
- Select the Standards Expert
- Type in a search or an acronym e.g. ISO and standard number e.g. 658
- Click on details and confirm if that is the standard wanted
- Click on ‘order’ next to the standard number
- Complete the form using your neu.edu e-mail address for delivery
- Electronic version must be requested when available
- All requests reviewed and approved by the library within 2 business days (an email confirmation will be sent when processing is complete)
- Standard must be viewed and printed within 48 hours after approval
- For questions contact Joan Omoruyi(617-373-2806) or Lee Bracken(617-373-2748)
- Inspec (EI Village) (Current NU Only)
Inspec® provides deep coverage of scientific and technical literature in the field of physics, with additional links to citations in electrical engineering, electronics and computer science. Contains over 8 million records describing articles in more than 3,400 journals, 2,000 conference proceedings as well as books, dissertations and reports.
- Institute of Physics Electronic Journals (Current NU plus alumni)
Note: Selected titles only
- Knovel Library (Current NU Only)
Note: Firefox browser recommended for off-campus access! Download here
Interactive ebooks and databases for scientific and engineering information. For certain properties there are specific chemical equations and digital graphs. Analyze data, sort, filter and export from 'live tables', resolve equations and plot graphs, capture values from existing graphs and perform 'what if' experiments.
- MathSciNet (Current NU Only)
Reviews of research in mathematics, 1940-present. Equivalent of Current Mathematical Publications. Includes a citation database and current awareness using RSS. Terms and Conditions
- Metapress (Current NU Only)
Selected articles from a variety of academic publishers and scholarly societies.
- NANOnetBASE (Current NU Only)
Nanoscience and nanotechnology references and full text documents from CRC Press
- Nanopolis (Current NU plus alumni)
Nanopolis uses multimedia to explain topics in nano-biotechnology, physics, chemistry and biology. Multimedia animated pages created by scientific and graphic design teams allow researchers of all backgrounds to easily understand the concepts and methods of the splendid world at atomic scale.
- Nature Journals Online (Current NU plus alumni)
The flagship journal "Nature" is is the most highly cited interdisciplinary science journal according to ISI's journal citation reports; NU's subscription includes a number of sister titles. View a list here.
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Evolution (Current NU plus alumni)
A comprehensive guide to the essentials of evolutionary biology, these entries by leading experts survey essential concepts and theories, present methods, models and findings, and discuss both the history of the field and current controversies. Published in 2002.
- Oxford University Press Journals Online (Current NU Only)
Note: Selected titles only
- Project EUCLID (Current NU plus alumni)
Selected scholarly journals in mathematics (Euclid Prime and Euclid Select titles available).
- PROLA (Physical Review Online Archive) (Current NU Only)
- PsycArticles (EbscoHost) (Current NU Only, no walk-in use)
Full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology. Includes over 100,000 articles from 59 journals - 48 published by the American Psychological Association (APA) and 11 from allied organizations.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EbscoHost) (Current NU Only)
A select collection of full-text articles in psychology from chiefly peer-reviewed journals.
- PsycINFO (EbscoHost) (Current NU Only, no walk-in use)
The American Psychological Association's flagship database of 2.4 million articles, books and other international documents in psychology going back over a century. 98% peer-reviewed! [More Info]
- Safari Tech Books Online (Current NU Only)
Note: Maximum of 5 users at a time
A fully-searchable e-reference library that houses a vast collection of technical books from industry-leading publishers.
- Sage Premier Journals Online (Current NU Only)
- Science (Current NU Only)
A journal of original scientific research, global news, and commentary.
- Science Citation Index Expanded (ISI) (Current NU Only)
Note: View License Terms
Science and technology citation and abstract information including original research articles, reviews, editorials, chronologies from over 7,000 journals. Cited reference searching allows you to track prior research, see who is citing your work, measure the influence of someone's work, and navigate forward, backward and through the literature of your discipline. Linked to EndNoteWeb.
Covers 1993 - present
- Science Resource Center (Current NU Only)
Topic overviews, experiments, biographies, pictures and illustrations from articles in over 200 magazines and academic journals. The database covers curriculum-related science topics and offers teachers an easy-to-use tool to identify content directly correlated to state and national standards.
- ScienceDirect (Elsevier) (Current NU Only)
Note: View Licence Terms.
Note: Science Direct pdf problems and solutions
Science Direct is the web site for selected journal titles from the scholarly publisher Elsevier and its affiliates.
- SciFinder Scholar (CAS) (Current NU Only)
Note: See Use Restrictions
See Help with browser security errors
NOW AVAILABLE ONE OF TWO WAYS: ON THE WEB OR WITH CLIENT SOFTWARE. Provides searching of Chemical Abstracts, Medline is also available. Links to full text. Covers 1907 - present [More Info]
- Scirus.com (Free web resource)
A web search engine focusing on scientific information, including web sites, digital archives, and scholarly peer-reviewed journal citations. Supported by Elsevier. [More Info]
- Scitation (Current NU Only)
Note: View License Terms
Scitation is the online home of more than 100 journals from AIP, APS, ASCE, ASME, SPIE, and a host of other prestigious science and engineering societies. Scitation now includes SpinWeb. [More Info]
- SIAM (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics) Journals Online (Current NU Only)
- SPIE Digital Library: International Society of Optical Engineers (Current NU Only)
The SPIE Digital Library is the most extensive resource available on optics and photonics, providing unprecedented access to more than 200,000 technical papers from SPIE Journals and Conference Proceedings from 1990 to the present. More than 17,000 new technical papers are added annually.
- Springer LINK E-books (Current NU Only)
Online access to nearly 40,000 titles from Springer Publishing, searchable to the chapter level. English and German content is included.
Subjects include: Architecture, Design and Arts, Behavioral Sciences, Biomedical & Life Sciences, Business & Economics, Chemistry & Material Science, Computer Science, Earth & Environmental Science, Engineering, Humanities, Social Science & Law, Mathematics & Statistics, Medicine, Physics & Astronomy, Professional and Applied Computing. [More Info]
- Springer LINK online journals (Current NU Only)
Note: Selected titles only
- Synthesis (Current NU Only)
Synthesis is an innovative information service for the research, development, and educational community in engineering and computer science. Synthesis includes 50- to 100- page dynamic 'Lectures' in an important research topic in engineering or computer science. Each lecture is a self-contained electronic book that gives more analysis and depth than typical journal articles.
The NU Libraries have access to Collection One only.
[View license here]
- Thomas Register (Free web resource)
Note: Registration required. You may register under your own name (it's free) or use the library's user ID and password, which are: User ID: referenc Password: referenc
A yellow pages of manufacturers and other product and service providers.
- Transportation Research Board Publications (Open Access)
The books, reports, and miscellaneous publications of the Transportation Research Board cover nine general subject categories: planning, administration, and environment; design; materials, construction, and maintenance; operations and safety; aviation; public transit; rail; freight transportation (multimodal); and marine transportation.
- Web of Science (ISI) (Current NU Only)
Note: View License Terms
Security certificate errors: View tech support for
Citation information and analysis, as well as author abstracts, are available in this multidisciplinary database covering 8,500 high impact research journals. Cited reference searching allows you to track prior research, see who is citing your work, measure the influence of someone's work, and navigate forward, backward and through the literature of your discipline. Linked to EndNoteWeb.
- Wiley Online Library (Current NU Only)
Selected journals available in full text, along with the Cochrane Library. Terms and Conditions